Labels

Monday, June 27, 2011

Dunmurry, Northern Ireland

  In 65 days, I will begin my "see the world" adventure with a two week stay in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland.  This vacation could not have been planned for a better time. 

  I recently broke off a four year relationship with a man whom I had anticipated to be my husband.  Even though this is supposed to be a blog, and I'm supposed to organize my most intense feelings at this particular moment in time, I just don't really feel like getting into hairy details.  I just feel like resuming this zombie-numb state of being for as long as possible. I'm sure a few days down the road, that post will be a sloppy mess of girly emotions.  I may be some sort of train wreck, but until then... I'll just set up camp in the Twilight Zone. 

  So being that I am anticipating a major breakdown and loss of direction, I of course need something to hold me together.  That something is Dunmurry and Brittany Robinson.  The thought of touching down on the Emerald Isle and being greeted by my dear friend whom I haven't seen in almost a year is almost euphoric. 

 I shut my eyes and just imagine: My sixteen hour plan ride is nearing its destination.  I feel my right butt cheek going numb from leaning my body against the window.  As I open my eyes from the longest nap of my life, all I see is green.  I can already feel my heart beating to jump out of my chest to get a look for itself, so I cross my arms to hold it in place.  Finally the airplane stops and I jump out of my seat unsteadily.  My legs haven't recovered from such a long rest so they struggle to hold my body's weight.  I am however determined.  I grab my carry-on backpack and shove the garbage from my snacks in my pockets and impatiently stand behind the short lady who isn't paying attention as the line advances out of the plane. She is still standing, reading a magazine. Finally she realizes the clear exit and looks at me apologetically. I return the expression with a smile and we scurry out of the exit.  
   Outside, the fresh air steals away my breath with an evergreen kiss and I feel a strange sense of comfort.  I see Brittany's face, and I feel at home.  My second home away from Michigan.

Until my travel,
B.Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment