Labels

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

22 For the First Time

  Not too long ago (about an hour and a half ago to be exact) I awoke with incredible cotton mouth and a freezing right leg.  I noticed upon opening my eyes 2 things;  a huge almost full moon staring at me through a large 3 panel window, and the strange notion that this 3 panel window is not a characteristic of my bedroom.  Obviously panic-stricken, I sober up from sleep just enough to conclude that I am not home and have no idea where I am.  At this point, I can't really think rationally due to the stinging of my bladder and pressure on my lower abdomen.  I have to pee for 4 days.  Again panicked, I cannot just get up and go because I don't know where I am, so what is stopping me from thinking that there aren't dozens of mousetraps lined up on the floor next to the couch for me to step in? Or maybe the floor isn't finished at all, that the carpet hasn't been laid and maybe the nails are exposed and ready to impale innocent feet? These are very rational fears at this point.  My next plan of action is to grab my phone to shed some light on the room.  I sigh at the relief of recognizing familiar furniture and breathing Apple products sporting mustaches.  For some reason, I am more than a little bit disappointed with myself, as I thought that waking up in an unfamiliar apartment was going to be an adventure.  I pictured myself crawling around (as to prevent squeaky floorboards from protesting the stranger) looking for clues as to my very own whereabouts and piecing together how I got here.  I guess it's somewhat of a relief to realize I'm just at M&K's, and probably fell asleep watching a movie.  In fact, that's exactly what I did.
  So as you may have gathered from my previous paragraph, I turned 22 today (sarcastically).  I know, there's nothing monumental about a 22nd birthday. But who's to say, that today should go unnoticed? Imagine for a second I hadn't been born at all.  Maybe you wouldn't have suffered being annoyed by an anarchist cheerleader for 4 years, or been dumped for being "like a brother to me." Maybe you would have never've kissed another girl behind your girlfriends back, or played barbies until you were almost in 8th grade.  You may not think of a perfection when you think of me, yet some part of me believes your lives are all a little better or worse for knowing me.  Whichever way it goes, I made an impact. And needless to say, I'm glad I was born.
  I was born into an amazing family, and had the pleasure of knowing so many people that I'd like to call my friends.  I graduated with a class of individualists who I now Facebook stalk and am glad to see them making their own little families,  protesting the government, and getting a 'much needed' college education.
  Anyhow, back to the story.  Remember how I said I pulled out my phone, said "LUMOS" and magically the room lit up (or something like that?) Well, I had remembered it was my birthday secondary to a couple of friendly text messages from people who thought to either refuse to conform to the ways of Facebook, or wanted to be a little bit more personal in their birthday wishes.  Thanks for reminding me at 1, 2, and 3 AM. I sincerely mean that.
  So, back to the story behind the story (if you even decide to read on with my ramblings): For some reason the realization of my 22nd year really threw the desire to meditate on me.  So I laid on the couch once more and decided to think on my goals.  The ones I've had in the past and present... those in which I've failed to accomplish... new ones... that sort of thing.  So to save my rambling, the long and short of everything is this; every goal I have ever set and (decidedly) will set revolves around the idea of becoming a better person for other people.  I always believed that one of my severe downfalls was my selfishness. Becoming an adult scared me because I was afraid that my free will would be exercised by my narcissism.  Currently, this is my largest fear.  That goes without saying that I have faltered at this many times.  I am just as imperfect as the next person, but hey, I'm trying.

I guess the point in all of this, is that if you decide to think of me on my Birthday, maybe pray that I can succeed in this sense.  I understand that this is a perpetual goal, however it is most important to me and I have all of the time in the world anyhow.

and here's a 5 AM toast with my bottle of water to having fun and living life with other people in mind, and not at their expense. To earning wisdom as it's deserved and growing without regression. And for once and for all, easing up and have a stupid good time without worrying.

B. Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment